Why is high blood pressure ad symptom of sleep apnea?
- There is a sympathetic response in when an apnea or hypopnea occurs.
- Heart rate and blood pressure increase during each event.
- OSA patients have hundreds of events per night, thus the body remains in a constant state of elevated blood pressure.
- Because the body is not getting sufficient oxygen, it is not converting enough nitric oxide.
- Nitric oxide is a vasodilator, without nitric oxide blood vessels narrow.
- The endothelial lining of the arteries breaks down, making them more susceptible to plaque and fatty tissues building up.
- Narrow arteries with risk of blockage = high blood pressure, heart attack and stroke.
- OSA increase hypertension by 45%
Why is acid reflux of Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) a symptom of sleep apnea?
- When breathing is stopped, the body increases efforts to take in air.
- Abdominal contractions are exaggerated and get worse if breathing does not begin.
- These contractions squeeze the stomach and force acid up.
- Negative pressure builds up in the esophagus because of efforts to breath, this helps pull up acid as well.
Three types of headaches have been directly linked to OSA:
- Cluster Headaches
- Dull Morning Headaches
- All are caused by different things, morning headaches and cluster headaches have been linked to oxygen desaturation events.
- Migraine headaches are correlated with REM and Delta sleep patterns which are severly disrupted in patients with OSA
- OSA has been linked to nocturnal bruxism
- Clenching and bruxing occur when patients come out of an apneic event. The body activates muscles to regain control of the airway.
- Tongue thrusting and a scalloped tongue are also caused by muscle activity relating to efforts to keep the airway open.
- Anterior Tooth Wear
- Problem: Obstructed Airway Solution: Brux and activate the tongue to bring forward thereby opening up the airway
- Because of the cardiovascular damage that’s occurred because of the sleep apnea people with OSA are at great risk for heart attack and stroke.
- Mayo Clinic study from 2000-2011
- Found that cardioembolic stoke is significantly more common in patients with OSA.
- Among the OSA patients, 71.9% had cardioembolic strokes, compared with 33.3% in non-OSA patients
A large neck circumference is a clinically signficatn risk factor because the fat deposits in the neck put outside pressure on the airway tissues making it more narrow
Men – neck circumference greater than 17 is “red flag”
Women – neck circumference greater than 15.5 inches is “red flag”
If Obesity rates continue on their current trajectories, by 2030, 12 states could have adult obesity rates above 60%, 39 states could have rates above 50%, and all 50 states could have rates above 44%
By 2030, Mississippi could have the highest obesity rate of 66.7% and Colorado could have the lowest rate for any state at 44.8%.
Get the best health care for you and your family. Call our office at 832-487-0647 or come visit us at 3421 Burke Rd #1 Pasadena Texas.
Sleep Apnea Test
Risk levels based on scores of screening test:
Between 0-7: you are at low risk
Between 8-11: you are at moderate risk
Between 12-15: you are at high risk
16 or higher: means you are at severe risk
Your score places you at LOW risk. Dr. Nugent recommends that you proceed with formal testing and follow up care with medical professionals. Without formal testing, it is impossible to know exactly what your risk level is.
Your score places you at MODERATE risk. This can be serious and Dr. Nugent highly recommends that you proceed with formal testing and follow up care with medical professionals.
Your score places you at HIGH risk. This is serious and Dr. Nugent highly recommends that you proceed with formal testing and follow up care with medical professionals.
Your score places you at SEVERE risk. This is serious and Dr. Nugent highly recommends that you proceed with formal testing and follow up care with medical professionals.