Patients can benefit from Mandibular Advancement Devices with:
- Primary snoring
- Mild to Moderate Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Moderate / Severe OSA who are intolerant or refuse CPAP
- Poor tolerance of nasal CPAP
- Poor surgical risks
- Non-successful sleep apnea surgery
- Use of appliance during travel
Advantages of using an Mandibular Advancement Devices:
- Treatment with oral appliances is reversible and non-invasive
- Oral appliances are small and convenient
- Appliance is easy to carry when traveling
- Easily adjustable
- Easy to wear and more comfortable than the CPAP
- More comfortable than CPAP resulting in increased compliance
What are potential side effects of Mandibular Advancement Devices?
- Morning soreness in the teeth or jaw muscles.
- Excessive salivation or dryness.
- Tooth movements (mostly minor)
- Noises in the ear or jaw joint
- Continued muscle or joint soreness
- Permanent changes in the bite
- Slight movement of teeth
- Loosening of dental restorations (crowns, bridges, etc)
Most of these potential side effects improve within a few weeks of regular use and some adjustments of the apnea appliance by Dr. Nugent. Patients with arthritis and chronic jaw joint dysfunction may have difficulty tolerating an Mandibular Advancement Therapy.
Discover how dentistry can help your sleep apnea. Our office is a leading sleep apnea center dedicated to helping patients battle the dangerous effects of sleep apnea. Visit us at 3421 Burke Rd #1, Pasadena, Texas 77504.