Sleep Apnea and Oral Appliance
Mandibular Advancement Device (MAD) is an effective treatment option for snoring and obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). A custom-fit oral sleep appliance can improve your sleep, restore your alertness, rejuvenate your health and lower your apnea events. Worn only during sleep, a MAD advances the lower jaw downward and forward. These position helps maintain an open upper airway.
There are two important points to consider with oral appliances:
- Oral Appliance Therapy (OAT) is recommended by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) as one of the first-line treatments for patients diagnosed with mild Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA). The AASM also recommends oral appliances for patients with moderate to severe OSA, who are unable to tolerate or cannot wear Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) devices.
- Oral appliances are typically covered by medical insurance benefits but are not covered by dental insurance.
Sleep Apnea Oral Appliance benefits:
- Travels well
- Does not restrict movements while sleeping
- Works with any patient sleeping position
- Sleep free from Attachments
- Great for patients who get Claustrophobic with their CPAP
- Can be used for patients that are CPAP intolerant
- Speak and drink while in use
- Does not limit sleep positions
- No cumbersome head gear
- No consumable parts to replace
- Does not require electricity